Grilled pineapple is a delicious and healthy dessert option that is perfect for summer barbecues and outdoor gatherings.
The sweet and tangy taste of pineapple pairs perfectly with a variety of flavors, making it a versatile ingredient for creating tasty desserts.
If you are looking for a simple and easy dessert or something more extravagant, there is a grilled pineapple dessert recipe for everyone.
From classic grilled pineapple with ice cream to caramelized brown sugar cinnamon grilled pineapple, these desserts are guaranteed to impress your guests.
In this article, I will be sharing the top 10 grilled pineapple dessert recipes that are sure to satisfy your sweet tooth.
Essential Ingredients for Grilled Pineapple Desserts
Grilled pineapple desserts are a delicious and refreshing treat that can be enjoyed all year round. However, to make the perfect grilled pineapple dessert, you need to have the right ingredients. Here are some essential ingredients to consider when making grilled pineapple desserts.
Choosing the Right Pineapple
The first step to making a delicious grilled pineapple dessert is choosing the right pineapple. When selecting a pineapple, look for one that is ripe but not too soft.
A ripe pineapple will have a sweet fragrance and a golden color. You can also tell if a pineapple is ripe by gently pulling on one of the leaves. If it comes out easily, the pineapple is ripe.
Complementary Spices and Herbs
To enhance the flavor of your grilled pineapple dessert, consider adding complementary spices and herbs. Some popular options include cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and vanilla.
These spices can be added directly to the pineapple or used in a marinade to infuse the flavors.
Sweeteners and Glazes
To add sweetness to your grilled pineapple dessert, consider using a sweetener or glaze. Some popular options include brown sugar, honey, maple syrup, and agave nectar. These sweeteners can be used to coat the pineapple before grilling or drizzled on top of the finished dessert.
Another option is to use a glaze. A glaze can be made by combining a sweetener with other ingredients such as citrus juice, soy sauce, or balsamic vinegar. This will add depth of flavor to your grilled pineapple dessert.
Top 10 Grilled Pineapple Dessert Recipes
Grilled pineapple is a delicious and healthy dessert option that is perfect for summer barbecues and gatherings.
This recipe from The Recipe Critic is a crowd-pleaser. The brown sugar cinnamon glaze adds a sweet and spicy flavor to the pineapple, making it a perfect dessert option.
This recipe of grilled pineapple is a simple and delicious dessert. The warm, sweet, and buttery pineapple is topped with ice cream and granola, adding a fun crunch to the dessert.
This recipe is a quick and easy dessert option. The caramelized pineapple is enhanced with cinnamon, adding warmth to the overall flavor of the dessert.
This recipe from Minimalist Baker is a vegan dessert option. The grilled pineapple is topped with coconut whipped cream, making it a perfect dessert option for those who are dairy-free.
- Grilled Pineapple with Rum and Brown Sugar Glaze – This recipe from Food Network is a boozy dessert option. The rum and brown sugar glaze add a unique flavor to the pineapple, making it a perfect dessert option for adults.
- Grilled Pineapple Sundaes – This recipe from Delish is a fun and creative dessert option. The grilled pineapple is topped with ice cream, caramel sauce, and nuts, making it a perfect dessert option for those who love a little bit of everything.
- Grilled Pineapple with Honey and Lime – This recipe from Eating Well is a healthy dessert option. The honey and lime add a sweet and tangy flavor to the pineapple, making it a perfect dessert option for those who are watching their sugar intake.
- Grilled Pineapple with Vanilla Ice Cream and Caramel Sauce – This recipe from Serious Eats is a classic dessert option with a twist. The grilled pineapple is topped with vanilla ice cream and caramel sauce, making it a perfect dessert option for those who love a little bit of indulgence.
Grilling Techniques and Tips
Grill Temperature and Timing
When it comes to grilling pineapple, it’s important to get the temperature and timing just right to achieve that perfect caramelization and juicy texture. I recommend preheating your grill to medium-high heat, around 375-400°F. This will allow the pineapple to cook through without burning on the outside.
Timing is also crucial when grilling pineapple. You want to cook it long enough to caramelize the sugars and develop that rich flavor, but not so long that it becomes mushy or overcooked. I find that grilling pineapple slices for about 2-3 minutes per side is usually the sweet spot, but you may need to adjust the timing based on the thickness of your slices and the heat of your grill.
Pineapple Preparation and Safety
Before grilling pineapple, it’s important to properly prepare it to ensure both safety and optimal flavor. Start by cutting off the top and bottom of the pineapple, then slice off the skin and any remaining “eyes” or brown spots. Once you have a peeled pineapple, slice it into rounds or spears, depending on your preference.
It’s important to note that pineapple contains an enzyme called bromelain, which can break down proteins and cause irritation in some people’s mouths. To prevent this, you can soak your pineapple slices in saltwater for about 30 minutes before grilling. This will help to neutralize the enzyme and make the pineapple safer to eat.
Additionally, it’s important to practice safe grilling techniques when cooking pineapple. Always use tongs or a spatula to flip the slices, and be careful not to overcrowd the grill. Finally, make sure to clean your grill grates thoroughly before and after grilling to prevent any cross-contamination.
Serving Suggestions and Pairings
When it comes to serving grilled pineapple desserts, there are a variety of options to choose from. Here are a few suggestions to get you started:
- Ice Cream: Grilled pineapple pairs perfectly with vanilla or coconut ice cream. The warm pineapple and cold ice cream create a delicious contrast in both temperature and texture. Try topping your ice cream with chopped macadamia nuts, caramel sauce, and/or toasted coconut for an extra burst of flavor. (source)
- Cinnamon Sugar: For a healthy, fat-free dessert option, try grilling your pineapple with cinnamon sugar. The cinnamon sugar creates a crunchy caramelized coating, and the grilled pineapple will not burn your mouth like raw pineapple. This dessert is perfect for those watching their weight as it is only 3 Weight Watchers SP per serving or 6.5 Slimming World Syn per serving. (source)
- Rum: If you’re looking for a more adult twist on your grilled pineapple dessert, try adding a splash of rum to your pineapple before grilling. The rum adds a sweet, slightly boozy flavor to the pineapple that pairs well with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream. (source)
- Honey: Another simple but delicious option is to drizzle your grilled pineapple with honey. The sweetness of the honey pairs well with the smoky flavor of the grilled pineapple. Try serving your honey-drizzled pineapple with a dollop of whipped cream or a scoop of vanilla ice cream. (source)
No matter how you choose to serve your grilled pineapple dessert, it is sure to be a crowd-pleaser. The sweet, tangy flavor of the pineapple pairs well with a variety of other flavors, making it a versatile ingredient in any dessert recipe.
I am a writer, editor, and publisher of Grillcuisines.com – an online blog dedicated to sharing grilling tips, accessories, and recipes to encourage more people to get outside and grill.
I’m off to find out the different types of grill foods, their seasons, and how to conduct outdoor cooking properly. I’ll also show you some of my grill-worthy cooking tools & accessories!