I was all set to barbecue some baby back ribs but suddenly realized that something was wrong with the Pit Boss. It wasn’t working.
When I took a closer look, I came to know that the Pit boss auger is not working.
I spent a whole day figuring out why is my Pit boss auger not turning. And came up with a solution.
Do you want to know about Pit boss auger jam? Here’s a complete guide if you’re facing the same issue.
WHAT IS PIT BOSS AUGER AND HOW DOES IT WORK?
A Pit boss auger is a motorized screw-like device that moves wood pellets from the hopper to the fire pot. The auger is powered by an electric motor that turns a screw-like shaft, which in turn moves the wood pellets from the hopper to the fire pot.
This ensures that the wood pellets are constantly being fed into the fire pot, allowing the grill to maintain an even temperature throughout the cooking process.
Related > > Pit boss Uneven Heat
5 Reasons Why Is My Pit Boss Auger Not Turning
How to know if the Pit boss auger is jammed?
To determine if your Pit boss auger not working, you can turn the power switch to the “ON” position and listen for the Pit boss auger motor.
If you don’t hear the motor, then the auger is likely jammed. You can also check the hopper and auger tube for any obstructions that could be blocking the auger.
If pellets are not moving to the fire pot? then probably the Pit boss auger is jammed. There are many reasons that clog Pit Boss auger.
If you find any obstructions, then you will need to remove them before the auger can function properly.
An auger jam can put excessive strain on the grill’s components, including the motor and auger itself. Continuous attempts to run the smoker with the auger stuck can potentially lead to motor burnout or auger damage, requiring costly repairs or replacements.
Some of the reasons include auger motor failure, faulty power source, issues with the shear pin, and broken vacuum switch. However, the most common reason for a Pit Boss auger not turning is a Pit Boss auger jam.
Let’s just discuss them in detail.
1. Pit boss auger motor problems
If the Pit boss auger is not turning, the motor may have gone bad. How to know if your Pit boss auger motor is bad?
Here are some signs:
- The auger stops turning or is slow.
- The motor gets hot as soon as it is turned on.
- Pellets are not moving to the fire pot or stopping halfway.
- Fluctuating temperatures
Motor failure is often a result of overheating or aging of the motor. If you haven’t replaced the auger motor since you purchased it, there are chances that the motor has malfunctioned.
On the other hand, if you’ve got a brand new Pit boss pellet and used it two to three times and the new auger is not turning then it may be due to over-current. High voltage or voltage imbalance can ruin the motor structure and function.
Another possible reason is contamination due to dust, fuel, or any other foreign object, which can cause motor failure.
2. Broken vacuum switch
If your motor is all clear, the fault might be in the vacuum switch. Due to frequent usage and overpressure, the switch can break and cause a problem for the auger.
Moreover, a vacuum switch can also get faulty if the airway is blocked. Sometimes, the chimney is filled with excessive ash and debris so it shuts the auger and turns on the vacuum switch.
3. Pit boss auger motor problems – Shear pin displacement
Shear pins connect the auger with the auger motor. It is located behind the auger motor. Older models of Pit boss auger come with a quick-release pin, while the newer ones come with a nut and bolt pin.
The problem with shear pin displacement is usually faced by consumers with old Pit boss grills. Maybe the design of the Quick release pin was faulty as it is prone to displacement.
Now they have replaced it with a more stable nut and bolt design. So a displaced shear pin can also cause the auger not to turn.
4. Pit boss Auger Stuck
A blocked or jammed auger is the reason for most of the cases when it is not turning. Dust, debris, moisture, fuel, foreign objects, anything can block the auger.
You’d be surprised to see solid objects like pellets, knives, or other utensils when you open up the apparatus.
Sometimes you accidentally drop things like these and don’t know what’s causing the blockage.
Wet pellets can also cause blockage. It will make the Auger exposed to moisture and block the airways. Despite you have covered the pellet stove, it can be exposed to moisture, especially during the cold months.
5. Faulty power source
If everything is in place, the last and most important thing you should doubt is a faulty plug or socket. The Pit boss won’t turn if it is not receiving current from the power supply.
When you plug in the grill, the controller must be on. If it’s not, know that the power source is faulty.
Poor connection or damaged power cable can also cause the Pit boss auger to not work properly. This might be the probable reason for you if you use your Pit boss on the lawn or patio. Pets and lawnmowers can damage the cable without you knowing.
5 Solutions On How to Fix a Pit Boss Auger Motor Problems
Whatever is wrong with your Pit boss auger from the above-mentioned issues, here’s a fix for each of them. Just follow the instructions and make the jammed auger spin.
- Allen key or pliers
- Pipe wrench
- Another source of power supply
- Replacement of components if needed
- Test wire
1. Change the power source
The first thing you have to check whenever an auger is not turning is the power source. Not because it’s easier to check. But this reason is ignored in many cases and we waste our time fixing more technical issues which were not even the actual cause.
So carefully inspect the power supply. Plug the Pit boss in any other socket to make sure the problem isn’t with the power supply.
Also, don’t forget to check the plug and connection wires.
2. Check for any damaged components and replace them
The second important thing is to check circuits when the Pit boss auger not working. Once you have checked that power supply, cables, plug, and socket, everything is okay. Now it’s time to open up the big thing and check if there’s something wrong inside. Follow the steps:
- Unplug the pellet grill. Wait for it to be cooled and if it is already unplugged and cooled down, move on to the next step.
- Disassemble it with the help of a screwdriver. Remove the control panel first. There are four screws here. Loosen them.
- Note: Some consumers also have reported that their issue got solved just after loosening two screws.
- Empty the hopper and remove it as well. Place your hand underneath the hopper to make a good balance. Otherwise, it may fall on your foot.
- Check if there are any visibly damaged components inside including the vacuum switch, control panel fuse, or induction fan.
3. Check if the auger motor pin is in place
Following the above steps when the auger is exposed in front of you, check for the auger motor pin if it is intact or not.
- If the pin is missing, find it out first. It might be somewhere inside the grill. Shake it and you’ll hear the sound of a pin floating inside.
- Check the box or the area where you assembled it.
- If the auger pin is intact, check if it is loosened. Quick release pins are prone to be displaced or getting missing. Replace this pin with an auger motor pin which comes with a nut and bolt.
4. Test the Pit boss auger motor
If the Pit boss auger stops after a few minutes, check the motor failure, you obviously have to expose the auger motor. Follow the steps to test an auger motor.
- Remove the shear pin with the help of an Allen key and pliers. It will disconnect the auger shaft from the auger motor.
- Unscrew the two screws on the bottom edge of the motor.
- Connect your auger motor to the test wire and then connect it to a surge protector.
- Turn on the surge protector and note if the motor starts turning or not.
- If the motor starts turning, try to stop it with the pliers. A good motor won’t be able to stop due to enough torque.
- If the motor stops when you do so, it’s time to replace the motor with a new one.
5. Remove the auger shaft to clear the auger jam
How to unclog pit boss auger?
The motor’s all okay? Might be a Pit boss auger jammed with wet pellets. Follow the steps to unclog a auger:
- Get rid of the bushing face by unscrewing the bushing screw on the circular hatch.
- Use a pipe wrench to remove the auger shaft. It will be quite difficult if the auger is excessively jammed.
- Now it’s time to clean the auger. Move the auger in and out while spinning it. It will help clear the majority of the jam.
How to clean Pit boss Auger?
The next few steps include how to clean excess dust from the auger.
- Use a vacuum to clear excess dust and pellets inside the auger shaft. Focus on the fire pot as well. How often do you Vacuum your pellet grill?(3 BEST PELLET GRILL ASH VACUUM)
- Once everything is cleaned, put the auger back together. First, insert the auger shaft. Then place the screw you removed to uphold the bushing.
- Then attach the auger motor to the auger by inserting the shear pin.
How long will it take to fix a Pit boss auger that isn’t turning?
It depends on the problem. If there’s an issue in the power supply, you have to simply change the socket in 2-3 minutes.
Replacing the auger motor pin will take about ten minutes maximum. Clearing an auger jam can take about 30-60 minutes.
However, if the auger motor or its components malfunction, it will take more time. And you may need a technician’s help with this.
Why is my new Pit boss auger not turning?
An older Pit boss auger can stop working due to aging, auger jam, overuse, etc. But if your new Pit boss auger isn’t working, and you haven’t set a temperature yet.
Pit Boss Auger Not Turning Brand New
First check that the grill is properly plugged into a working power outlet. Verify that the power source is providing adequate voltage for the grill to operate.
For making the auger work, you have to first press the power button and then turn the controller dial to set your desired temperature.
Then press on the dial to confirm. The screen will display the option ‘Press here to ignite’. Press and hold it until the Pit boss starts. Listen for any humming or buzzing sounds coming from the auger motor. If you don’t hear any noise, it could indicate a faulty motor.
If you are finding a technical issue, then it might be with the shear pin. Remove the control panel and hopping. Check if the pin is in place.
Older models of Pit Boss come with a Quick-release pin, you can contact customer support for replacing this pin with an auger motor pin.
Can you replace a Pit boss auger motor?
Yes, you can replace the Pit Boss auger motor if it’s not working efficiently. You can also replace it to upgrade the auger for reaching the desired temperatures faster.
Pit boss Auger Replacement
For replacing Pit boss auger motor, open the Pit boss by the method explained above. Once the auger is exposed, you’ll observe two red wires.
Unplug those wires and detach the auger motor from the auger by removing the shear pin. Now put the new motor in the auger shaft and attach it with the help of a shear pin.
Plug the red wires of the auger motor into the red wires of the controller and you’re done.
How to know if my Pit boss Auger is jammed?
If the auger is not turning and the motor is fine, know that the auger is typically jammed. Open the hopper and auger shaft to check if there are any pellets stuck inside.
If there is any dirt, dust, moisture, or pellets inside, your Pit boss auger jammed. Clear an auger jam by the method explained above.
How to prevent an auger jam in the future?
Preventing your pellets from moisture is the key to preventing an auger jam. So make sure the pellets are not puffy before putting them into the hopper.
Do not store the pellets outside, instead use an airtight container for the storage of pellets. Invest in good quality pellets, specifically made from natural hardwood material.
Also, never leave the pellets in the hopper if you’re not planning to cook.
How to prime a Pit boss auger?
You need to prime your Pit boss auger if you’re using it for the first time. It will just take 7-10 minutes to prime the auger.
No need to prime an auger after every use. You only need to prime it when you remove all the pellets and vacuum it.
Following are the steps to prime the Pit boss auger:
- Plug in the Pit boss. Turn on the switch on the back of the grill.
- Add pellets to the hopper. Select Auger on the controller and then press ‘Prime Auger’.
- The pellets will start moving towards the firepot, press Done. The auger will be turned off.
I am a writer, editor, and publisher of Grillcuisines.com – an online blog dedicated to sharing grilling tips, accessories, and recipes to encourage more people to get outside and grill.
I’m off to find out the different types of grill foods, their seasons, and how to conduct outdoor cooking properly. I’ll also show you some of my grill-worthy cooking tools & accessories!