If you are having trouble connecting Traeger to Wifi, you are at the right place!
The Traeger WiFi grill is one of the most sought-after products on the market today. It provides a convenient way to monitor and control your grill while you are away from home.
However, it’s not uncommon to find people complaining about Traeger App not working.
And as such, when you spend a thousand bucks on a product, you don’t want anything to go wrong. You would like the WiFi to be connected as soon as possible and not read manuals about how this is done.
As a quality pellet grill manufacturer, Traeger is without a doubt the one to go to. After Traeger equipped their grills and smokers with WiFi capabilities, customers started reporting the Traeger won’t connect to wifi.
If you have Traeger app issues like:
- The Traeger app won’t sign in
- Can’t log into Traeger app
- The Traeger app failed to load
- Traeger unable to join network
- The Traeger app not connecting to grill
Start here. We’ve found that the Wi-Fi signal strength and pairing performance of many WiFire connections can be improved by taking a few minutes to adjust some simple home network settings.
To see Which Traeger Grills have WiFi/WiFIRE check out this article here!
Why is Traeger App not working? How to Fix Traeger App Issues?
There are some troubleshooting steps you can try on your own first to fix the Traeger WiFi problems on your grill. First, ensure you have updated the latest version of the Traeger app and that it is running on up-to-date firmware.
You can check by opening the App Store on your mobile device and clicking Updates. Reset both your phone and the grill. The grill has to be factory reset before it will resume working. After that, you can pair it with WiFi (2.4GHz). The pairing process takes four hours.
Step-by-step instructions to Fix Traeger Wifi Issues
After a lot of users raised awareness on popular forums like Reddit about the Traeger app not connecting to grill, Treagre has taken a step to address those complaints.
The following solution is a step-by-step workflow on “how to connect Traeger to wifi“, so please read it thoroughly and implement each course of action in sequential order.
Before you start, just make sure your phone is connected to your home’s 2.4GHz WiFi network, not the 5.0GHz WiFi network. Traeger grills are incompatible with 5.0GHz Wi-Fi networks!
- For step-by-step instructions to connect your treager grill to Wifi for the first time check out the below guidelines:
Step 1 – Reset the Traeger and Phone by Powercycling your Phone and Grill
The first thing that you should do when you can’t log into Traeger app is to turn off both the Traeger and your electronic device.
Power cycling can help to solve problems with an unresponsive device. This entails switching the device off and on again.
You can do this by unplugging the Trager grill from power, waiting for at least 30 seconds, and then plugging it back in again. This will reset all settings and fix most of the Traeger WiFi/WiFRIRE issues.
To reset the phone, press and hold the power button for a minute. Wait 30 seconds before turning it back on.
Step 2 – Use the Latest Version of the Traeger App
If you haven’t downloaded Traeger App yet, you can download the App from the Apple App Store or Google Play and enter “Traeger” into the search bar. It should be there.
If your Traeger app failed to load make sure you’re running the latest version of the app to avoid any problems we found in older versions. The current version has fixed everything and will keep your WiFi stable.
Configure your settings so you’ll be alerted if a newer version is available.
On iPhones, the app will be accompanied by a small round icon below, flagging that there is a new version available. Simply click on the app and it will auto-update for you.
Step 3 – How to Factory Reset Traeger Grill
This tutorial will guide you through the process of resetting your Traeger Grill back to factory default settings.
- For Factory reset Traeger grill (go to the menu on grill-> settings -> about the grill, then hold ignite button until Traeger logo appears)
- Double-check and see if your phone was still connected to WiFi. If it is, disconnect from WiFi.(which will be under settings -> WiFi information)
- Power grill off and on.
- Delete grill in the Traeger App.
Step 4 – Check Firmware Version if Traeger won’t connect to wifi
If Traeger is unable to join the network check the firmware version on your Traeger.
First head to Menu and then Settings and About Grill.
Please make sure you check the latest firmware version before an update is done. If it’s not listed, go back to the previous step and factory reset your grill again until it is connected to the network.
Step 5 – Connecting Traeger to WiFi
We’ve reset the grill and it’s running the latest firmware. Now all you have to do is connect Traeger to WiFi/WiFIRE.
—The router should be within 30 ft of the grill.
Accept/ join every prompt that pops up on your device, it will eventually result in a prompt from the WiFIRE app asking if you’d like to connect to the grill.
Here are complete step-by-step instructions on “How to connect Traeger to Wifi” for the first time:
Step 6 – Confirm the Grill is Connected to Your Home WiFi Network
Power the grill on and ensure it is connected to your home network. To do so, press the Menu button and select Settings → WiFi information.
If you have a Wi-Fi connection, please wait for the grill to download and apply the latest software update after being plugged in for at least 4 hours.
Step 7 – Verify Grill has been Updated to the Latest Software Version
Step 8 -Confirm Again Traeger is connected to Home WiFi
For instructions on how to set up your WiFi, you can go to the settings menu and press “WiFi information”.
Ensure your grill is connected to your home’s WiFi network. Make sure your grill is set up to work with 2.4GHz networks!
If your grill is connected to a network, select “Disconnect” under “Forget Network”.
Step 9 – Pair Grill for the Last Time
To pair your grill, say Yes/Accept to every prompt that you see.
After you’ve named your grill, it should be showing up in your app and you should now be all set!
Troubleshooting for a Failed Wifi Connection on your Traeger Grill
If still, your Traeger won’t connect to wifi or Traeger app won’t sign in here are some considerations.
1: Check if the grill is in DEMO mode
- Ensure Demo Mode is off on the grill controller.
Menu > Settings > Demo Mode.
- If you have a timberline model, check the antenna
Check if the antenna is screwed in tightly under the hopper. Replace the antenna if damaged. Allowing for a connection to the device can be as easy as unscrewing the bottom part of your controller to see if you have the antenna connected.
Confirm there is a good connection between the controller and the wire. This might involve lightly pulling on it to ensure there are no loose ends.
If the Traeger antenna wire has been damaged or disconnected from the controller, please contact customer service.
2: Make sure to Check the Grill’s Location If Traeger not Connecting to Wifi
The main reason for the Traeger app not working is the grill not connecting to wifi.
- Weak signals are the location of the grill. Position your router near the location of the grill. The router should be within 30 feet (9 meters) during the pairing process.
- Ensure that the grill is not set up right next to anything like masonry, metal building material, concrete, pipes, or wires. These obstacles could interfere with the WiFi signals. Try and make sure there’s a direct line from the grill to the router.
If the grill is unable to move into an unobstructed line to the router, continue looking for other potential Treager WiFi problems.
To check other reasons for Traeger grill offline.
3. Check for ICLOUD Private Relay to avoid Traeger App Issues
If you are an iPhone user with iCloud Plus, make sure to turn off “Private Relay for iCloud” before pairing the grill. This option can then be enabled after a successful pairing.
- How do I turn off iCloud?
- Go to your iOS device’s Settings.
- Search Private Relay. In the search results click on Private Relay.
- If you can’t see Private Relay, it may be because you don’t have it. Continue troubleshooting
- Make sure Private Relay is configured as “Off”
- Clear app’s cache data
- For iOS: Delete the app and reinstall it.
- Android: Clearing the Traeger App cache data and all device cache data is an important troubleshooting principle when there is not enough storage space on a phone.
- Device Setting > App Settings > Traeger App > Storage > Clear Cache Data
4. Check your home WiFi setup
Most of the time when you are having trouble connecting Traeger to wifi is because of the home WiFi setup.
We often find that the reason people can’t connect to their home WiFi is that something’s not right with their home wifi setup.
See the Home WiFi Set-Up article to make sure you’re set up for success.
- If you have an EERO router, it requires specific troubleshooting. See EERO Routers.
- To avoid Traeger app pairing issues, it is best to have a different name for each of your 2.4GHz and 5GHz networks.
- If it’s not easy to separate the 2.4GHz and 5GHz networks in your smart home setup, then a better solution may be to buy a dedicated 2.4GHz router for your grill (and other smart home devices).
- Traeger grills controller can only recognize networks with names that have a maximum of 32 characters and spaces that take up 3. For example, if you name your WiFi network “This is my long network name” it will be 38 characters long and not connect.
Wrap Up – Why is my Traeger App not Working
Traeger grills come with some known WiFi glitches that are easy to take care of if you follow the right steps.
One app fix that Traeger recommends is to make sure you’re using the latest version of the app and that your grill is running the latest Firmware.
Most of Traeger’s weak Wi-Fi signals are the main reason for many Traeger app issues, but there is a way to improve that. To do so, you just need to take a few minutes to adjust some settings and reset T.
I hope it helped you get your WiFi back on and your Traeger up and running!
– Are Wifi Pellet Grills Worth The Money-A Definitive Guide to the Wifi Pellet Grill
– How Do Wood Pellet Grills Work
– What’s Your Grill Name? (30 Funny Traeger Grill Names)
– How to Use Traeger Meat Probe (6- Steps)
– Why is My Traeger Pellet Box Smoking (6 Reasons & Quick Fixes)
I am a writer, editor, and publisher of Grillcuisines.com – an online blog dedicated to sharing grilling tips, accessories, and recipes to encourage more people to get outside and grill.
I’m off to find out the different types of grill foods, their seasons, and how to conduct outdoor cooking properly. I’ll also show you some of my grill-worthy cooking tools & accessories!