For a wintery treat, Traeger Smoked Chocolate Chip Cookies are a fantastic option. The quality ingredients used in this recipe give them a unique smoky flavor.
They are best served warm with ice cream, milk, or just by themselves.
These bakery style cookies have golden brown edges, are loaded with tons of chocolate chips, and the best part – a unique touch of smoked walnuts.
With the Traeger smoker, you can make a wonderful dessert. These cookies are a great choice when put side-by-side with other best Traeger dessert recipes.
This is one of the most famous smoked cookie recipes on the internet. It’s easy to make, perfect for chocolate lovers and it’s got a lot of people coming back for more.
How to Make Traeger Smoked Chocolate Chip Cookies
And I was right about it! Walnuts retain a pleasant sweetness and a hint of smoky flavor that perfectly balances out the chocolate in Traeger Smoked Chocolate Chip Cookies.
When it comes to baking on a smoker, the cookies cook very fast and don’t have a strong smoky taste.
This may not matter to some, but for those who want a strong smoky flavor in their smoked cookies, I’ve got the perfect solution for you.
When you bake on a smoker or pellet grill you can cold smoke a few ingredients. Like I wanted to try making smoked walnuts first to use in the dough before smoking the cookies on a Traeger.
Now let’s see how we can make smoked chocolate chip cookies.
SMOKED COOKIE RECIPE
Smoked Walnuts on Traeger Pellet grill
It’s time to smoke those walnuts! Put them in a pan with butter and sugar, and smoke them for about 1.5 hours at 225°F.
You should get a little caramelized taste from the sugar and lots of smokey flavors.
If you have a mesh grill pan, use that. If you don’t, set up a wire rack over a baking sheet for some extra airflow and smoke absorption
For Traeger wood pellet flavor for smoked chocolate chip cookies, I would recommend a fruitwood or, the Traeger Signature Blend.
Smoking walnut is optional and requires extra time. If you want to use raw chopped walnuts, you can still enjoy these cookies.
All you need for this chocolate chip cookie is three simple ingredients and about 20-30 minutes. The result will be a cookie that is a total win-win!
Ingredients For Smoky Chocolate Chip Cookies:
– 1 cup unsalted melted butter
– 1 cup brown sugar
– 1 cup white sugar
– 2 eggs
– 2 tsp vanilla extract
– 3 cups all-purpose flour (plus more for rolling)
– 1 tsp baking soda
– 3/4 tsp salt
– 12 oz chocolate chips
– 1 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
– Smoked walnuts
– 1/2 cup Rolled Oats
– 1 1/4 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
How to Make Smoked Chocolate Chip Cookies
1- SMOKE THE WALNUTS (Optional Step)
- Preheat Traeger smoker to 225ºF.
- Melt the butter and brown sugar in a bowl. Stir in the walnuts so they are fully coated.
- Arrange the walnuts on a sheet pan or a disposable foil pan with a wire rack. You can use metal grates to help them pick up more smoke
- Smoke the walnuts for two hours. Let them cool before adding them to the cookie batter.
2- PREHEAT YOUR PELLET SMOKER.
When you’re ready to cook, check the Traeger’s cooking temperature and set it to 350℉. Preheat the pellet grill for 15 minutes with the lid closed.
3- MIX THE WET INGREDIENTS AND BEAT WITH AN ELECTRIC MIXER
Beat together butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar until fluffy. Add egg and vanilla extract, beat until well mixed.
4- ADD DRY INGREDIENTS TO THE MIXTURE
Gradually add dry ingredients flour, oats, baking soda, and baking powder to the wet mixture, mixing until well combined.
5- ADD SMOKED WALNUTS AND CHOCOLATE CHIP
Stir in the chocolate chips and smoked walnuts to the mixture.
6- MAKE COOKIES
Drop by dough using rounded tablespoons or ice cream scoop onto prepared cookie sheets lined with parchment paper or Silpat mats.
7- SMOKE COOKIES IN SMOKER
Now smoke the cookies for 13-15 minutes or until the edges are golden brown but the center is still soft when pressed with your finger.
8- LET THE SMOKER COOKIES COOL
Let cool on a baking sheet for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack. It will let the heat distribute evenly throughout the smoker cookie and prevents the center from over-baking or becoming too soft.
if we transfer a hot cookie to a wire cooling rack it can cause it to break apart, so allowing it to cool first ensures the cookie stays intact. For more baking tips on pellet grill check 5 Tips For Baking On A Pellet Grill
YIELD: 24 Cookies
SERVING SIZE: 1 Cookie
Amount Per Serving: CALORIES: 340
DIFFERENT VARIATIONS OF SMOKED CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES
You can try different variations of ingredients and use the same instructions to make smoker cookies.
For intense or mild smoky flavor just smoke the ingredients like oatmeal, chocolate chip, coconut, ginger, and cinnamon, before adding them to other ingredients.
Here are a few variations you can try with smoky chocolate chip cookies:
- Oatmeal chocolate chip cookies
- Peanut butter chocolate chip cookies
- White chocolate chip cookies
- Dark chocolate chip cookies
- M&M chocolate chip cookies
- Snickerdoodle chocolate chip cookies
- Macadamia nut chocolate chip cookies
- Coconut chocolate chip cookies
- Lemon chocolate chip cookie
- Gingerbread chocolate chip cookies
WHAT TO SERVE WITH SMOKED CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES
The flavor of smoked chocolate chocolate chip cookies can be enhanced by pairing them with a cold and hod beverages or icecream.
The smokey and chocolatey flavor of the Traeger smoked cookies will be better balanced by a cold glass of milk, while a cup of coffee will give your treat an extra shot of caffeine.
Serve the smoker cookies with a nice cup of hot cocoa or a rich latte if you’re looking for something a little extra special.
Whatever beverage you select, make sure it goes well with the chocolatey and smoky flavors of the cookies to maximize how much you love this sweet treat.
WHAT WOOD PELLET FALVOR GOES WELL WITH SMOKED CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES
The flavor of a chocolate chip cookie will be significantly impacted by the type of wood pellet flavor used in a pellet grill.
Each type of wood pellet has a distinct flavor profile that can range from sweet and mild to robust and smokey.
For instance, adding apple or cherry wood pellets will give the smoked cookies a sweet, fruity flavor, while adding mesquite or hickory would give them a intense, smokey taste.
As the cookies smoke, the flavor of the wood pellets is soaked into them, giving the cookies a depth of flavor that is impossible to produce with regular baking techniques.
When smoking cookies on a pellet grill, flavor selection is an important consideration because it can significantly affect the overall flavor of the chocolate chip cookies.
For smoked butter chocolate chip cookies, the best wood pellet flavor to complement it is:
- Apple wood
- Cherry wood
- Maple wood
- Pecan wood
- Mesquite wood
These wood pellets have a sweet, mild flavor that enhances the taste of the chocolate chip cookies.
Wrap Up: Traeger Smoked Chocolate Chip Cookies
Homeowners that love to cook should know that Traeger allows for low-temperature baking and also offers more cooking options than other outdoor cooking solutions.
Try this recipe for fabulous smoked chocolate chip cookies. Make sure to mound the dough high, this will result in gooey cookies with a chewy center.
Also to get the most out of this recipe, we recommend refrigerating the dough for 2-4 hours before smoking.
SMOKED CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES
- Pellet Grill/Smoker
Apple Pie Filling
- 1 cup unsalted melted butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 cups all purpose flour (plus more for rolling)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 12 oz chocolate chips
- 1 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1 1/2 cups Smoked walnuts
- 1/2 cups Rolled Oats
- 1 1/4 tsp Vanilla Extract
- Preheat your pellet smoker at 350℉. Preheat the pellet grill for 15 minutes with the lid closed.
- Beat together wet ingredients like butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar until fluffy. Add egg and vanilla extract, beat with an electric mixer until well mixed.
- Gradually add dry ingredients flour, oats, baking soda, and baking powder to the wet mixture, mixing until well combined.
- Stir in the chocolate chips, dark chocolate and smoked walnuts to the mixture.
- Drop by dough using rounded tablespoons or ice cream scoop onto prepared cookie sheets lined with parchment paper or Silpat mats.
- Now smoke the cookies for 13-15 minutes or until the edges are golden brown but the center is still soft when pressed with your finger.
- Let cool on a baking sheet for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack. It will let the heat distribute evenly throughout the smoker cookie and prevents the center from over-baking or becoming too soft.
MORE SMOKED DESSERTS RECIPES
I am a writer, editor, and publisher of Grillcuisines.com – an online blog dedicated to sharing grilling tips, accessories, and recipes to encourage more people to get outside and grill.
I’m off to find out the different types of grill foods, their seasons, and how to conduct outdoor cooking properly. I’ll also show you some of my grill-worthy cooking tools & accessories!